Saturday, October 19, 2013

Getting me through

I leave in just two weeks to go home, but I still don't feel quite ready to leave Nakuru. What will I do without seeing my babies everyday? And my ladies? I won't be there for Thanksgiving, or lunch dates with friends, or sleepovers, or baby birthdays, or bible studies. I won't get to wave at the kids in pajamas at the end of the road or the guard at Lizzy's school on my way to the baby house everyday, I won't get to see my neighbor Chiri every afternoon as she waits for her daughter to come home from school, and I won't see the guy every week who sells sheets on the side of the road and always calls me a different name. Yes, I will definitely miss Nakuru.

BUT. I'm very ready to go home. Simple as that. Not ready to leave, but very ready to get where I'm going. Not for long, but definitely for a little while. Ever since I booked (well, re-booked) my flight, I've been distracted with the thought of home. Family, friends, fall time, holidays, comfort and joy. I'm so excited to be able to disconnect for a while, to not get annoyed with small and ultimately unimportant things. I'll be able to drive without slamming on my brakes every 5 seconds for unaware pedestrians. I can go to sleep at night without padlocking my doors. I can use a washer, a dryer, a vacuum cleaner. I can have something besides rice and lentils for lunch. I can have as many conversations as I want without interpreting accents or translating. I am excited and ready for rest. Obviously, I have a lot that I love in Nakuru, but honestly, it's taking a lot to get me through these next two weeks. Here a few of the things keeping me going:

-The Psalms. I've been reading through the Psalms for the past few weeks. Just one a day, except when I forget, which is more often than not. Although I'm certainly not going through any afflictions comparable to those being referred to in the Psalms, I am still finding a lot of comfort in reading that "I lie down and sleep; I wake again because the Lord sustains me."

-Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder. I don't know, you guys. This song has just been following me around lately, and I'm loving it.

-$1 face masks from Walmart that my mom sent me in a package over a year ago.

-The thought of holidays and cold weather. Now, don't get me wrong. I actually had a really great time last year celebrating both Halloween and Thanksgiving with friends here. But nothing compares to scary movie marathons and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Also, it's really not even hot here yet, so I'm not dying for cold weather. But I'm excited to see a change in environment. Cooler temperatures, Daylight Saving's time ending, hopefully no dust or flash floods.

-Babies growing up. I can't handle it, you guys. When did Moses start actually obeying and wanting to help? When did Sandra start walking and saying my name? When did Kennedy start having full conversations? These babes are growing up SO fast. I want to catch every little milestone they hit before I won't be here to notice them.

-The thought of turkey sandwiches for lunch! Petty? Yes. But 100% true.

-Bath&Body Works candle in Vanilla Bean Noel.


*When this posts, I will actually be home already. I'm trying to surprise my sister by being home a little earlier than I was originally hoping SO I HOPE NONE OF YOU RUINED IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment