Friday, August 2, 2013

Trip to Luo land!

I realize that when people hear that I live in Africa, it’s legitimately often assumed that I live in a hut in a village with no electricity, walk around in hiking sandals and long skirts, and have no idea what’s going on in the rest of the world. Well, it’s not true. While there are many areas and people like this just a matter of minutes from my neighborhood, I actually live a very cush life compared to so many missionaries on this continent. I have an apartment in a city with running water and electricity, I wear normal clothes, and I have fairly reliable internet. I don’t consider myself high-maintenance, but praise the Lord that I am not called to live a village life. One of our babies, Collins, on the other hand, will be living the village life when he permanently reunites with his family in just a couple months. He was born in a village in Western Kenya, predominantly inhabited by the Luo tribe, into the same family my friend and HCO social worker, Tracy, was born and raised. I joined baby Collins, Tracy, my friend Caitlin, my director Trena, her daughter Julia, and another baby from the baby house (just for fun) on a quick two-day visit there earlier this week. Here are a few photos I caught during my stay.

Sugar cane farms surrounded the homesteads we were visiting.
Collins' future homestead.
I loved this house and how it was decorated. A little tacky, but kind of eccentric for a Kenyan home.
Caitlin and Malaika being sweet.
Excuse my hot mess hair.
Collins was fed constantly on our visit AKA he had the best time.
Love is enough, you guys.
Breakfast of mandazi and chai
I thought this was gonna be a quick picture of just me and Tracy...
Collins with his soon-to-be Auntie Milka. She LOVED him.
People of the Luo tribe are AWESOME at carrying things on their heads. Maureen demonstrated.
Home.
Baby in a bucket!
Mama Brian's kids look exactly like her.
Walter was teaching Julia how to play tire games. Why do all kids in all developing nations know how to play stick and tire games?!
Walter loves kids. He was one of the nicest people I've met.

Lunch on Lake Kisumu
You pick which fish you want.
Before
And after. This fish was DELICIOUS! I miss seafood.
Mama Brian is so fun, and her smile is so beautiful.

Although I’m very grateful that I’m not called to village life, I’m also grateful to be able to experience it. I like seeing that despite not having modern conveniences and technology, these people are not deprived, they don’t feel sorry for themselves, and they live healthy and normal-for-them lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment