Monday, May 13, 2013

Coastin'

Last week, a few friends and I took a short trip to the coast. Two are starting grad school soon, another was going home for a not-so-fun visit, and I just needed a break and a tan (priorities, am I right?) So we decided very last-minute to head to Mombasa for a few days, and we left literally the next day. Our trip was low-key, but still really fun. We stayed in Ukunda, maybe 100 meters from the beach and just a ferry-ride away from Mombasa town. We swam in the Indian Ocean, rode camels on the shore, gave up on having cute hair and just wore top-knots (the humidity over there is brutal... I forgot how much I DON’T miss humidity), toured and shopped around Mombasa town, laid by the pool, got sunburnt, visited friends and their new house, ate a lot of dark chocolate, and did absolutely no work. It was so nice to have a mini-getaway in such a beautiful place with good friends. Unfortunately, I got very few pictures from this trip. I had my camera out for maybe 30 seconds on the beach and got sand in every crevice (and really didn't want it getting stolen or wet on the rainy days), and my phone doesn't take the best photos :( But here are a few:

We flew on a teeny tiny 12-passenger plane

Praise the Lord for beaches

Old Town shopping

Thrift find. Anthopologie rip-off?

Camel ride! Not comfortable, but still really cool

Thank you to everyone who donated money specifically for fun and breaks. Here’s to feeling refreshed!

No comments:

Post a Comment